Sunday, September 16, 2007

vegan apple crisp

I have been a slacker with this blog, and I'm sorry. school got in the way of cooking, and then I lost my camera battery charger. I have a ton of recipes I've been making that are really yummy, but I feel that photos really make it that much more appealing. Luckily, I made a cheesy photo with photobooth of the apple crisp I made tonight for neilly and myself. 
I've also been trying the vegan thing. I really like it, and I plan on staying vegan for the most part, with small indulgences of any cravings I have (like fish, cheese, eggs)... 
I found this recipe off goveg.com but tweaked it a little, smaller portion. 
So without further ado, 

Vegan Apple Crisp

Ingredients: 
2 apples of your choice, I used gala. sliced, peeled is optional
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
3 tsp. cinnamon
5-6 Tbsp. earth balance (or your choice of vegan margarine/butter)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sliced apples, half of the sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 Tbsp. flour. I used a 6 inch baking dish for this, it'll work with anything fairly small. Put the mixture into your dish. Combine the remaining ingredients except for the cinnamon in a mixing bowl, and mix until crumbly. The butter should turn into small marbles or around that. Top the apples with the oatmeal mixture, and sprinkle remaining cinnamon on top. 
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and fairly crisp on top. Mine didn't get really crispy, but it was nicely firm and together. 

No comments: