Sunday, August 19, 2007

grilled orange and roasted garlic shrimp


grilled shrimp with orange and roasted garlic marinade. 
this was delicious! so good. the orange and cilantro keep the flavors fresh and light, and the roasted garlic and serrano chili give some depth. Accompanied with some miniature roasted sweet peppers and some delicious fresh yellow sweet corn. 

Recipe: 
1/2 pound fresh, local shrimp (peeled and without tails)
1 Serrano Chili (more or less for your heat tastes) chopped.
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups orange juice
1 head of garlic
4 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. of lime juice

Directions: With the garlic clove, cut the top off and put in foil topped with half the olive oil. Place in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes, or place on a high grill for 30-40 minutes (with the grill closed). In a small sauce pan, heat the orange juice on low-medium heat, reducing it to 3/4 cup. Chill when reduced. (I used an ice bath and freezer combo for speedy cooling. Can also be made ahead.) 
Once the garlic is roasted and orange reduction is cooled, take the cloves and mix them together with the cilantro, chili, lime juice, and remaining olive oil. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. 
Then, skewer and grill for about 3-4 minutes a side, depending on how fat your shrimp are. Mine were small. 
For the peppers, I just made a foil pouch and grilled the pouch for 15 minutes. They came out tender, flavorful, and delicious. 

I'll be posting something delicious and new once a week. I love cooking, food, feeding people, and creating new and unique dishes. The most meat I'll ever post is fish. Otherwise, this will be a vegetarian food blog. 
love. the. food. 

3 comments:

Neilly said...

The picture is amazing and I cannot wait to learn how to cook this. Spectacular.

Ktastic said...

This looks delish! I dunno how you can take food pictures and make them look so appetizing :P

driouxcipher said...

I tried this recipe and it turned out really well. I would definitely use larger shrimp were I to do it again, as the small ones curl up considerably. Also, not having a grill or skewers, I sauteed them and the flavours were still awesome. I also used only half of a reasonably large Serrano chile, which added a perfectly respectable heat level. All in all, a lovely dish and one that I will do again! Thanks!