Sunday, November 4, 2007

Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad, Cherry Tomato and Spinach Tart


this was an awesome food weekend, and because I'm waking up at 4, this is going to be a short entry without the recipes. but don't fret, I have pictures and if anyone wants the recipes, you got it! 
first course was Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Vinaigrette. 
I never used to love beets like I do now... in fact, I hated them.  I thought they were up there with brussels sprouts.
but after having them cooked deliciously (roasted is my absolute fav.), I'm a beet-liever. I love how earthy they are, and their subtle, almost meaty flavor. (I mean meaty in the sense that it's a substantial vegetable. not as in animal meaty.)
They're roasted with olive oil, little bit of balsamic, salt and pepper. that's it.We roasted these babies for a good
 1.5 hours, as they were a little smaller than baseballs... 
the mom made a super easy citrus vinaigrette with an orange, its segments and the juice and a little olive oil. 
I toasted a crostini for each plate, as the crunch, beets, and cream of the goat cheese work so well together. 

next, was my dish... Cherry Tomato and Spinach Tart. 
I made the tart shell from scratch, it's a buttery, flaky, savory crust that works so well with the vegetables. I roasted the
 tomatoes with some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper for about an hour... they get carmelized and super sweet - almost like sun dried tomatoes. The spinach was cooked in a big pot with some butter, tiny bit of water, nutmeg,
 and salt.... then drained. in between the layers is some parmesean cheese which makes it that much more delicious. 

so so good. we added some roasted chicken to complete the entree, with a light lemon butter sauce. I'm really pleased with this recipe but would alter it slightly. Coarsely chopping the spinach would make it easier to eat, and I would use less than the recipe called for... but it was overall so delicious and I would definitely make it again. 

that's all for this weekend. tune in soon for more delicious food and recipes. 

No comments: